Saturday, February 19, 2011

Spicy Tuscan Soup (Zuppa Toscana)

Just tried this knock off Olive Garden soup tonight....Yummy!
Soups scare me sometimes cause if you don't like it SO much goes to waste, I am very pleased with how tasty this was. Wish I had some yummy rolls to go with it.
(Oh, and I only used regular flavor sausage cause it's all I had, plus my kids don't like spicy so much....and no bacon) I realized after I added the cream that I could have reserved some creamless soup for the milk allergic folk and then poisoned it for the rest of us. Too late, pigs in a blanket for him....

Spicy Tuscan Soup

serves 6

1 pound Spicy Breakfast Sausage (I used Jimmy Dean Hot Sausage)

1 whole Medium Red Onion, Diced

2 slices Bacon, Diced

3 cloves Garlic, Minced

3 whole Medium Potatoes

1 quart Warm Water

3 cubes Chicken Bouillon

¼ bunches Kale, Roughly Chopped

½ cups Heavy Cream

Salt And Pepper, to taste

In a large stockpot or Dutch Oven, cook the sausage over medium-high heat, breaking it up as you cook it, until no longer pink. Drain and set aside.

Add diced onions and bacon to stock pot. Reduce heat to medium and cook until onions are clear.

Add minced garlic and cook for 1 minute.

Leaving the skins on, slice potatoes in half lengthwise and cut into 1/4″ slices. Cut the slices in half again, unless using small potatoes. Add warm water, bouillon cubes and potatoes to the Dutch oven and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes until potatoes are almost done.

Add kale, cooked sausage and cream.

Simmer for 5 more minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment