Sunday, February 27, 2011

Food is Good

I read this article the other day and it got me thinking...

Here is an expert:
"North Korea's public food distribution broke down in the nineties, and ever since then, the nation has careened between beggary and starvation.  Other governments, meanwhile, have glumly faced two unappetizing choices: donate food which will be diverted to prop up the regime, or allow even more North Koreans to starve."

It's amazing to me that we live on the same planet as people that are oppressed and abused by a few men in power. I know it's more complicated than that, but that is the pattern I see. Not only the same planet, but mere hours away, people are stripped of freedoms and are taught to fear (Colorado City).

But here is the point of this post: I have no idea what oppression is. If I need ingredients for one of these recipes, I throw the kids in my car and drive a few miles down the paved road to a grocery store. In that grocery store, there has never been a shortage of the things I need. All foods in all seasons are right at my fingertips. When the kids start to get antsy, I go down the cookie isle, tear open a crinkly package of cookies all lined up identically in their plastic beds, and we snack while we shop.

And if we want to have a blog where we share recipes and eat as much food as we want, then no one bats an eye. I guess I am just blown away that there are many, many people out there that don't live this way. Not even close.

No comments:

Post a Comment