Sunday, March 6, 2011

Acorn Squash Bread

I got an acorn squash in my bountiful basket this weekend. I made a face when I got it. I don't like acorn squash. Someone on their facebook page suggested to google acorn squash bread and that's what I did. I thought I could trick my kids into eating it. But I wanted to try it too- I LOVE bread.

I found this recipe:

http://simmerboston.com/2010/11/acorn-squash-bread/

I made two small loaves. For my boys loaf, I added 1/4 cup chocolate chips. They will eat anything with a bite of chocolate in it.

To change it to something I would eat, I used applesauce in place of the oil and egg beaters in place of the eggs. I didn't add the nuts- but I don't like nuts in bread anyways. I used 1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice in place of the nutmeg and ground cloves. I made the cream cheese sauce using fat-free cream cheese.... pure heaven!!! I can not wait to get another acorn squash!

**tip for cutting it**
Place squash in the microwave for 1-2 minutes to soften then cut. It will save your hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment