This is a tonight and tomorrow meal (two for one). I make a day one with half and a day two with the other half.
Spicy Beef Sloppy Joe, aka my favorite sloppy joe (Day 1)
2 lb. lean ground beef
2 16oz jars salsa
3 cups sliced fresh mushrooms (8oz)
1 1/2 cups shredded carrots (3 medium)
1 1/2 finely chopped red and/or green sweet peppers
1/3 cups tomato paste
2 tsp. dried basil, crushed
1 tsp. dried oregano, crushed
1/2 tsp. salt 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
4 cloves garlic, minced
1) In a skillet cook beeef over medium heat until brown, stirring to break meat in pieces. Drain fat. In 5 or 6 qt. slow cooker stir together beef and remaining ingredients (except rolls).
2) Cover; cook on high-heat setting 4 to 5 hours or on low-heat 8 to 10 hours.
3) Reserve 5 cups of the meat mixture for Spicy Beef Taco Salad. Serve remaining meat mixture on rolls.
5 cups reserved meat mixture from spicy beef sloppy joe
1 15oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 tsp. taco seasoning
1 head iceburg lettuce
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup chopped tomatoes
1/3 cup dairy sour cream
assorted tortilla chips
1) In a saucepan stir together meat mixture from spicy beef sloppy joes, beans, and seasoning. Heat to boiling; reduce heat simmer, covered 10 minutes.
2) To serve, place lettuce slices on serving plates. Add meat mixture. Top with cheese, tomatoes, and sour cream. Add tortilla chips.
*Spicy beef mixture can also be frozen for up to 3 months. Thaw in refrigerator overnight before using.